At Mason, there are five different flexible work options encompassing:
• A change of schedule — compressed work and flextime
• A change of location — telework and remote work
• Both a change in schedule and a change in location as it is possible to combine options.
• Mason also offers job sharing where two people share one job.
Below, please find a description of each option and a link to more information for each of them.
Compressed Work Schedule
An acceptable schedule agreed to by the supervisor and the employee that enables completion of the traditional forty (40) hours per week in fewer than five (5) full work days.
An arrangement where an employee works any approved schedule that doesn’t adhere to their traditional schedule (e.g. Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.). It may include varying the time of day, the days of the week, or both.
An arrangement where two (2) staff members share the responsibilities of one full-time position. Each employee shares a specific portion of the position, and each is considered a part-time employee.
Allows an employee who spends most of their work hours at a university site to conduct work at an approved alternate site for an agreed upon period of time.
A work arrangement where an employee spends most or all of their working hours outside of the traditional place of work. Full-time teleworkers work from their home or other agreed upon alternate campus or work site located away from the Mason campus, and their position is designed for off-site work. Visits to the campus are infrequent but can be regularly scheduled.
There are two types of full-time teleworking options:
- Full-time In-State Teleworkers are those that work remotely within the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Full-time Out-of-State Teleworkers work remotely outside of the Commonwealth of Virginia, nationally or internationally.